Year 5: Turkey
Welcome to the Turkey Class Webpage 2014-15!
What we are learning in the Spring Term
Fractions, Percentages, Area, Perimeter, Range, Money
- Relative Clauses, adverbial Phrases, Conjunctions, adverbs, modal verbs, fronted adverbials, Use the perfect form of verbs, Determiners a/an, kinds of sentences, new paragraphs, linking paragraphs with adverbials to mark relationships of time and cause, Phrases and Clauses, were/was, noun phrases
- Classic Narrative (Just So Stories)
- Novels and stories by significant children’s authors
- Diary Writing (Children’s Significant Authors)
- Poetic style (free verse)
IPC: They See The World Like This (artists’ impressions of the world)
Games and Websites we use for learning
Our Class Calendar
- PE on Wednesday
- ICT on Wednesday
- Music on Friday
- Class Assembly once a term on a Friday at 10:45
- Parent’s Morning meetings on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 8:30 – 8:45
Every Friday, your child will be set homework. This is to be completed and returned by the following Tuesday.
Please be involved as much as you like with the school community. Should you want to offer help on our class trips or in the class, feel welcome to do so. Plus, parents are welcome to spend some time in the class after our morning meetings.
Getting in Touch
Generally, you can speak to me any time before or after school. But please be aware, we have staff meetings on Wednesdays after school and on Tuesdays and Thursdays, there are the parent’s morning meetings. My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have upcoming trips planned to Westminster Abbey and The National Gallery
When on the carpet
- Hand up before speaking.
- No talking unless instructed.
- Must sit on magic spot.
- Good listening.
When at table working
- Hand up before speaking or asking for something.
- If you need to get out of your chair for anything, put your hand up and ask to do so.
- Quiet talking to your table partner only.
- Must tidy up table when finished lesson.
When moving around classroom
- Only walking; carefully and quietly.
- Must wait to be instructed to move.
Vocabulary – Literacy
Subordinate clause subject knowledge
Local Attractions for Family Learning
- Abney Park Cemetery http://www.abneypark.org/
- Clissold Park https://www.hackney.gov.uk/clissold-park.htm#.Ulp8JlCkqH8
- Waterworks Nature Reserve http://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/en/content/cms/nature/nature-reserve/waterworks-nature-reserve-midd/
- Lee Valley Regional Park http://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/
- Hackney Museum http://www.hackney.gov.uk/cm-museum.htm#.Ulp7TFCkqH8
- Hackney Libraries http://www.hackney.gov.uk/cl-libraries.htm#.Ulp7Z1CkqH8
- Hackney Archives http://www.hackney.gov.uk/ca-archives.htm#.Ulp7iFCkqH8
- Geffrye Museum http://www.geffrye-museum.org.uk/
Videos we use in Class
We use a lot of the BBC Class Clips in our classroom to support learning. Especially for Numeracy, Literacy and Science.
Class Teacher: Graham Howie
Teaching Assistant: Mario Ruiz